Monday, August 8, 2011

First Day of Spanish School

 
                          My school 

                    The street outside my school.

Hello friends! Hope all is well wherever you are!

My first day of Spanish school was pretty good. I woke up in the morning, had breakfast, and my host mom drove Austin and I to Probigua (the name of my Spanish school). There I met my teacher, Rosa Maria. We began talking immediately and she asked me a lot of questions (most of which I cannot answer; I know a bit of vocabulary, but my verb usage is terrible. Anything more complicated than "tengo" (I have), "soy" (I am), and "esta" (it is) is beyond me. So basically, I speak like a two year old). However, it was amazing how much I was able to understand what she was saying. Believe me, there were many times when I shrugged my shoulders and said "No comprendo" (I don't understand), but despite having only a semester of Spanish four years ago, I did a lot better than I thought. Our lesson this morning focused on colors (yeah, my Spanish is that bad...I only knew azul, verde, rosa, rojo, blanco, and negro. Pretty sad), words for family members (such as "sobrina" for niece, "los cunados" for brothers in law, etc.) I also had to explain to Rosa Maria that I have two sisters named Stephanie. She looked at me, raised an eyebrow, and she said "Tu familia es muy complicado" (Your family is very complicated). Don't I know it. Other than that, we discussed adverbs of place and by the time we were done, my head hurt. Overall, it was a good morning.

I also met a woman from Colorado named Lauren. She has been here for two months and it seems like her Spanish is very good (though she told me that two months ago she didn't know any, which made me feel better. I hope I'll be the same way). There were a lot of other Americans at the school, including a young couple and their two sons who are using their vacation to learn Spanish (which I thought was cool).

This afternoon I stayed in my house because I was exhausted from the morning. While I was taking a nap in my room, I woke up to pounding on the roof: it was pouring rain like crazy. It is their rainy season, after all. I also found out the name of my family's parakeet: Lazario. Why, you may ask? Apparently, my host mother accidentally stepped on it and it "resucito" (resurrected). I thought that was hilarious. The rest of the afternoon I did my homework, which was making a list of all the things in my room using the vocabulary I learned today. It went okay I think. When I started writing this post, I already noticed that it was weird for me to write in English because I got used to Spanish after just a day. I think that means good things.

Well that's all for today. Adios!

Oh, click here for pictures from today. I added them to the album that I made yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. Our family isn't complicated. We can tell the Stephanie's apart. I bet it was fun telling her that and seeing her reaction. We have had fun with that through the years. LOVE the bird's name! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bird named Lazzario!! That's perfect! Thanks for the great pix - your household look fabulous! And I love the outdoor airy school building - reminds me of India!

    ReplyDelete