Thursday, August 11, 2011

I Would Stumble Upon a Funeral...

Well everyone, today was another exciting day in Antigua. Yesterday was not so much, because I mostly stayed at home (which was good because it rained really hard in the afternoon). Today, however, I did some more exploring around Antigua.

First of all, to those of you who have requested, I finally got a picture of a chicken bus. Here's a picture of the one I took today, after I got off it:


As you can see, the guy who collects the money from people literally hangs onto the bus as he shouts to people on the street to tell them where the bus is going to next. And as soon as you step into the bus, it takes off. I saw the bus pull away from a lady who just got off and by the time she reached into her pocket to pay, the bus was gone. So I guess she got a free ride that time!

As I mentioned, I spent time this afternoon walking around the city, including visiting La Merced to get some pictures of the inside (which you can see here, just scroll down to the bottom of the album). Although adoration wasn't going on when I was there, a sign said that it was supposed to happen sometime on Thursdays. So, when I saw a man setting up the altar for a liturgy, I figured adoration was supposed to start pretty soon. So I sit in a pew a few rows from the front of the church, waiting to see what happens. The next thing I know, I look over, and there are a ton of people wearing black pushing a casket down the aisle. It was a funeral they were preparing for. I crashed a funeral! I was so embarassed. I immediately stood up and quietly walked past the funeral crowd, many of whom were crying solemnly, and left the church. I felt so bad, but I had no idea! Anyway, I guess it was kind of funny. Hopefully they didn't notice me (though I do stick out quite a bit being young and white. The only thing that makes me fit in is being short! Sometimes it does come in handy...).

The rest of the afternoon I walked around Antigua and visited Parque Central, the central park of the city. It was pretty nice; very touristy though. I also managed to find a nice cafe near the park where I can sit and read if I want. It looks like a pretty nice place. There are pictures of it in my facebook album as well. 

Ok well, I am barely keeping my eyes open as I write this, so it's time to go to bed. It's raining really hard, which makes me want to go right to sleep. Peace to all who read this!

2 comments:

  1. I actually DID laugh a LOT when reading this..."crashing a funeral" isn't a phrase I usually hear! Glad to see you're living it up in Guatemala though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot to mention your ankle roll. How is it feeling this morning? I could see the bruising last night. Love you, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete